Thursday, January 7, 2010

You see me, I don't care.

01/07/2010


I used to get sad when I thought about us. Now I get angry.


01/16/2010
It was bound to happen sooner or later. I was driving home and saw the ex’s best friend behind me. She got up closer and picked up her phone and called someone. I’m pretty sure she called Dawn to tell her that she was behind me. She stayed in my blind spot for a few minutes. We got off the freeway and she passed me. I caught up to her at a stoplight. I looked her way; she turned her head and looked the other way. I’m not stupid; I’ve known you for thirteen years. I know what you look like Jennifer. You may not like me at all, but playing Jr. High If I don’t see him, he isn’t there games? I hold no animosity towards you. Sure I think it’s weird that you and Dawn both decide to leave your husbands at the same time. But a little wave hello would have been nice. I would have waved back.

Early 80’s

I used to have to see who I was told was a speech therapist in school. I never talked in class so they assumed that I had a problem. I figured out pretty quickly that he wasn’t a speech therapist. I would sit in his little office and play with puppets. He would ask me to draw pictures and tell him what I thought they meant to me. I told him I didn’t want to go anymore. He suggested to my mom that I see a regular therapist. As I mentioned before, that didn’t long either. I went back to my usual loner, quite self and sat under the trees and read on recess. I ate by myself. I made up stories for show and tell. I copied Ginny’s math work every day; the rest of the year was dull.

In sixth grade we had some weird string art project we had to do. We were supposed to pick two colors and make a pattern. That was boring. I used all eight colors. Mr. Smith said that I couldn’t do that, I had to choose and pick only two. I went home and asked my mom to buy some string. I told her I needed it for a project. She went and got me different colored strings. I did the project at home and turned it in. I got an F for being creative.

I rode the bus too and from school. When the driver was in a good mood, she would play the radio. When ever Celebration by Kool & the Gang would play, the kids on the bus would sing along. Should I Stay Or Should I Go came on the radio. Melissa turned to me and said “Verne, you should go.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was a quite one in class. Several kids game me the nickname of "no tongue." Why would I want to talk to kids that called me names.

Thanks for sharing once again. Looking forward to more as always.

Stacy Kay said...

Oh my gosh. I tot"ly remember Mr.Smiths "string art" assignment. He was my favorite teacher...doesn't sound like you felt the same. Also, so happy someone else remembers singing "Celebration" on the bus. What a great time that was.

damagedgoods said...

I liked the string art project, I just didn't understand why I could only use two colors. Looking back, I think I should have stuck with two colors.

sloan said...

I know I've missed a few posts, so bare with my comments that are no longer time appropriate...

Dawn's friend is a tool. Who knows how many conversations they had convincing each other to bail on their marriages. Ick. I'm not surprised she avoided your wave, she was probably expecting the one finger kind...

You got an "F" for not following directions, kid. (But I bet your project looked REALLY cool)!

(I snickered at the "Verne, you should go" line. Funny & awful).